Institutional Laboratory Safety Committee
The Committee reports to the Vice President of Research on matters related to the use of chemicals and physical hazards that may be hazardous in the research, studios and educational activities of Texas Tech University. Hazardous chemicals are defined as substances which are potential physical or health hazards by exhibiting harmful characteristics such as toxicity, reactivity or flammability. Specific charges to the Committee include the following:
- To recommend to the Vice President of Research policies and procedures to ensure Texas Tech University’s compliance with all federal, state and local statutes, regulations, procedures and principles relating to the purchase, storage, use and disposal of hazardous chemicals used in Texas Tech University’s research, studio and educational programs.
- To certify investigators, their laboratories and their programs for work with hazardous chemicals.
- To produce and update the University Chemical Hygiene Plan and oversee its implementation in the research laboratories and studios of Texas Tech University.
- To review and recommend to Environmental Health & Safety the need for general and specific training programs for research, studio and teaching activities dealing with hazardous chemicals, and to review the appropriateness and effectiveness of such training programs.
Designated by the Vice President of Research on recommendation from the Assistant Vice President of Environmental Health & Safety from the membership.
All members must have appropriate experience and an active research program involving the use of chemicals. The membership shall include at least:
- A minimum of three (3) faculty members active or knowledgeable in the use of chemical reagents.
- A minimum of one (1) faculty member active or knowledgeable in the use of energetic materials.
- A minimum of two (2) faculty members who are non-users of chemical or energetic materials.
- A minimum of one staff member knowledgeable in the use of chemical and/or energetic materials.
- A member of the local regulatory community.
- The Associate Vice President for Research (Research Integrity), Ex-officio.
- Assistant Vice President of Environmental Health & Safety, Ex-officio.
- Laboratory Safety Manager, Ex-officio.
Ex Officio Membership (without vote)
Chair, Institutional Biosafety Committee
Executive Vice President for Research
Executive Director, Environmental Health and Safety
Manager, Chemical Safety
Manager, Environmental Protection
Additional faculty members providing invaluable expertise
Terms of Membership
Staggered three-year terms with one term expiring each year.
2018 – 2019 Membership Roster
Chair: Dr. Dimitri Pappas, Faculty, Chemistry and Biochemistry
Terms Expire August 31, 2019
Dr. Dom Casadonte, Faculty, Chemistry and Biochemistry
Dr. Michael Findlater, Faculty, Chemistry and Biochemistry
Dr. Chijuan Hu, Faculty, Chemical Engineering
Dr. Jacalyn McComb, Faculty, Kinesiology & Sport Management
Dr. Michelle Pantoya, Faculty, Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Shaikh Rahman, Faculty, Nutritional Sciences
Dr. Ernest Smith, Faculty, Environmental Toxicology
Ms. LaQuetta Purkiss, Staff, Chemistry and Biochemistry
Terms Expire August 31, 2020
Dr. Andrea Krieg, Staff - Animal & Food Sciences
Dr. Ruth Serra-Moreno, Faculty - Biology
Dr. Brenda Rodgers, Faculty - Biology
Mr. Gary Henniger - Community Member, Bayer Crop Science
Terms Expire August 31, 2021
Mr. Von Venhuizen - Faculty, Art
Mr. Jared Roberts - Staff, Theater and Dance
Dr. Callum Hetherington - Faculty, Geosciences
Dr. Gordon Christopher – Faculty, Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Safety Specialist
Mr. Jared Martin - University Chemical Hygiene Officer, Section Manager, Environmental Health & Safety
Ex Officio Members
Ms. Jennifer Horn, J.D. - Managing Director, Vice President for Research
Dr. Alice Young, Faculty, Associate Vice President for Research
Mr. Matt Roe, Staff, Assistant Vice President for Environmental Health & Safety